Saturday, January 24, 2009

Korg DS-10


The Korg DS-10 is a virtual synthesizer for the Nintendo DS. It was something that seemed like a semi-interesting novelty when it was released last year, but beyond knowledge on what to do with it. Just look at the picture to the right with all the knobs and virtual wires. However, having now gained a basic understanding of how synthesizers work, those knobs actually made sense to me. I'd read about musicians using this as a sort of "sketch pad" to work on ideas while travelling with an extremely portable synthesizer. So I decided with my new-found knowledge of synthesizers, it might be a fun little tool to invest in. I don't have any songs to show off with it yet, but I've gathered a ton of information about it.

Demonstration trailer:


One general tutorial/overview:


Another general tutorial/overview from IGN:


And I couldn't embed it, but here's another great review from someone who really understands synthesizers:
http://insidesynthesis.blogspot.com/2008/09/korg-ds-10-review.html

The people who released the games have also been releasing a series of tutorials called "Synthesizer 101".

Lesson 1: Pitch


Lesson 2: VCO


Lesson 3: VCF


Lesson 4: EG (Envelope Generator)


Lesson 5: EG Part 2


Lesson 6: VCA


Advanced Lesson 7: Patch Mode


Advanced Lesson 8: Patch Mode 2

0 comments: