Sunday, February 1, 2009

Audio Noise Continues

I'm still trying to figure out the solution to the recording noises that I mentioned in my last post. I've been trying all sorts of things, but have yet to find a solution.

I've been searching M-Audio's site and trying many of their suggestions. No solution. I registered on their forum and posted my problem, but didn't get too many responses.

I found a Korg forum and posted my problem there. I had a few responses, but nothing that fixed my problem.

I unplugged everything and tried plugging it into our clean power Monster strip. That didn't stop the hum. Then I tried unplugging the laptop and unplugged the synthesizer (turning it off) and the hum still persisted. So there was no outside current which was what most people believe the noise to come from.

Then I tried installing everything on Maria's laptop, but it didn't work there for some reason. So I installed it all on our main desktop. Still got the hum.

So I guess that rules out the computer and the power source. It also rules out the software because it happens on Audacity as well as Cakewalk Sonar. So it's somewhere within the Fast Track, the Korg, the USB cables, and the patch cord.

My next step will potentially be to look into getting some nicer USB cables with ferrite filters which is supposed to suppress noise. We'll see if that does anything.

1 comments:

Jeffrey said...

I don't know if you're outside your warranty for the fast track, but you could see if you could return it and then upgrade to the fast track pro which has midi, that would at least combine your midi and audio into one device.

That's weird that you can't have your power source connected without getting noise. I would assume that's either the fault of the laptop or the fast track device. If it does that with Maria's laptop too then maybe your fast track is defective.