Sunday, January 17, 2010

My new instrument: The iPhone

Last November I got an early Christmas present, my new iPhone.

When the iPhone first came out, I wasn't entirely impressed. Sure you could call people and check your e-mail. But it wasn't until they started pushing the "apps" that I started to take an interest. Suddenly the iPhone's functionality was nearly limitless. And then I started to hear about people making music on their iPhone.

One of the earliest, and most amazing things I saw that finally made me want an iPhone was this:

This video showed someone using the iPhone as a breath-controller to play music. At 8:30 he plays an amazing concerto with three other versions of himself.

I realized that the iPhone's microphone, touch, and accelerometer inputs could all be added together to create brand new ways to create music. I now have a whole collection of music apps. From synthesizers and instruments, to drum machines and other percussion, to multi-track recorders, to general purpose music utilities.

The first app I purchased upon getting my iPhone was the Ocarina app for my son.


The next purchase was another app that made me yearn for an iPhone when I first saw it. "Ellatron" is a Mellotron emulator for the iPhone. Mellotrons were used by a lot of prog bands in the 60s-70s like Genesis, Yes, and Moody Blues.


As a keyboard player, I have tried several times, but have never been able to figure out how to play a guitar. So my next purchase was an app called "iShred" which is a pretty amazing electric guitar emulator with the ability to strum the strings via the touch screen. This has way more functionality than I know what to do with, but I've already started recording "guitar parts" on some of my own songs using this app and it sounds pretty good.


Here are just a few of the other apps I've purchased or downloaded:

  • megaSynth: an fairly deep analog synthesizer
  • GigDaddy: a multi-track recorder
  • I Am T-Pain: an app that autotunes your voice
  • Metronome: yes, a metronome
  • Wickifon: an synth with a very unique style button input
  • Magic Stave: an app that tells you what note you are singing or playing
I have a bunch of others that I've collected and still figuring out if I will ever have a practical use for them, and there are others I want to purchase when the time is right. All-in-all, I think the iPhone is really going to make for a great addition to my other instruments, both real and virtual.

My next few songs will probably end up featuring the iPhone in some form or other.

0 comments: