Monday, January 10, 2011

Song: Today's The Day

Greg Whitehead - Today's The Day by GWGumby
Here's my most recent track for the new year of 2011. It's a little happy spacey synthpop song called "Today's The Day." There's no real story or background behind the song, it's just some ideas and musical phrases that organically emerged while playing around on my musical equipment that sort of capture the hopeful feeling of entering a new year with a sci-fi slant.

I tend to struggle with lyrics maybe coming up with one or two ideas quickly and then struggling to stretch it out to a full song. This song, though, seemed simple enough that I felt like the few ideas that came first were enough to sustain the rest of the song. I wanted the journey to be through the music and harmonies rather than the lyrics, hence the repetition or the lyrics.

While I was making this song, I was thinking it would be a song my wife would really like: a little softer, a little dreamier, and full of arpeggios (she likes those!) She did like it. She says when she hears the line "And when you see us flying overhead" that she pictures people with their arms outstretched flying through the air. So that inspired some of the image for the YouTube video below.

As always, the song was written and performed by me using my standard equipment. All synth sounds in this one come from the Korg R3. The rest from my piano and from plug-ins to my recording software.

0 comments: